BUNKER INDEX :: Price Index, News and Directory Information for the Marine Fuel Industry

« News Home
:: Monthly Archive

News Topics
:: Air Pollution
:: Agreements & M&A's
:: Alternative Fuels
:: BunkerBlog
:: Cargoes & Storage
:: Company News
:: Efficiency, Costs & Charges
:: Environment
:: Events
:: Financial
:: Fuel Quality & Testing
:: Lubes & Additives
:: Oil Spills
:: People
:: Port News
:: Projects
:: Regulation, Legal
:: Services, Products,Technology
:: Statistics & Research
:: Vessels

Regional Archive
:: Americas
:: Asia/Oceania
:: Europe
:: M.East/Africa

BUNKER INDEX :: Price Index, News and Directory Information for the Marine Fuel Industry
Home » News

Bomin Linde LNG to supply Furetank Rederi ships

Supplier's new 7,500-cubic-metre vessel to carry out ship-to-ship deliveries.

Image credit:

Updated on 25 Oct 2016 14:31 GMT

Bomin Linde LNG GmbH & Co. KG has signed a letter of intent (LOI) with Swedish shipowner Furetank Rederi for long-term cooperation in the supply of liquefied natural gas (LNG) in the Baltic Sea region.

Four LNG-fuelled newbuilds that were ordered in conjunction with the Gothenburg-based Gothia Tanker Alliance are currently under construction and are expected to be commissioned in late 2018 and early 2019.

According to the agreement, Bomin Linde LNG is to supply the Furetank Rederi ships using its new LNG bunker supply vessel [pictured], which it will have under time-charter contract with shipowner Bernhard Shulte. Ship-to-ship deliveries are to be carried out both in port and offshore.

New supply vessel

The new 7,500-cubic-metre Bernhard Shulte vessel is being chartered by a joint venture - established in November 2015 - in which Bomin Linde LNG has a 90 percent share in the business and Klaipedos Nafta owns the remaining 10 percent.

The LNG bunker vessel is to be used to supply ships and small-scale LNG terminals along the Baltic Sea coast. For Klaipedos Nafta, operator of the Klaipeda Oil Terminal in Klaipeda, Lithuania, the vessel will be used to transport LNG to its onshore LNG reloading station.

Amongst the key features of the new vessel will be azimuth thrusters and pump jets to ensure high maneuverability. Frequency-driven pumps with high flow rates will allow for the fast transfer of LNG to vessels with short layovers. Offshore bunkering will be possible using DP2 technology.

The commissioning of the Klaipeda-based supply vessel is scheduled for late 2018.


Commenting on the news, Sonja Nesshoever, Director LNG Portfolio of Bomin Linde LNG, said: "We are looking forward to develop a safe and flexible LNG supply chain in cooperation with a frontrunner like Furetank Rederi. As an important step forward to reduce costs for our clients and to optimise shipping routes we will also jointly explore the possibility of introducing LNG in Lightering Areas of the Baltic Sea."

"I am glad to have found a strong and reliable partner with Bomin Linde LNG being able to offer access to a unique LNG supply network in the Baltic Sea," added Lars Hoglund, Managing Director of Furetank Rederi.

Bomin Group

Earlier this month, Bunker Index reported that Bomin Group had sold its shareholding in Bomin Linde LNG. The company's 50-percent stake in Bomin Linde LNG, which was established in 2012 with joint venture partner Linde AG, has been acquired by Linde AG. It now owns all the shares in the business.

Commenting on the reason for the decision, the Hamburg-based bunker specialist said: "Bomin took the decision based on the speed of transition within the marine fuel supply chain in line with changing regulations. The demand for LNG has been slower than anticipated, and while LNG remains a viable clean fuel product, Bomin's focus in the short to medium term will be on other alternative products that meet emissions regulations."

Related Links:

Time-charter agreement for LNG bunker supply vessel
Bomin sells stake in LNG bunkering business

Latest News:

Verifavia signs up Wallem and Seaborn
The lowdown on bunker spill paperwork required in Singapore
MEPC 73: HFO ban events scheduled
Oil and fuel oil hedging market update
Brent climbs above $80 as supply concerns take centre stage
MEPC 73: IMO must renew commitment to Arctic HFO ban | CAA
IMO launches toolkits to tackle ship and port emissions
Bunker-saving JIT study presented at IMO HQ
Working group to finalize Initial Strategy programme for MEPC 73
Oil and fuel oil hedging market update
Bunker issues pack MEPC 73 agenda
Volatility around $80

Page Links:

Latin America
Middle East
North America
North Europe
South Europe
Index Summary
Price Highlights
Las Palmas
New Orleans
Rio de Janeiro
Latest News
Middle East
Air Pollution
Agreements & M&A's
Alternative Fuels
Cargoes & Storage
Efficiency, Costs & Charges
Fuel Quality
Lubes & Additives
Oil Spills
Port News
Services, Products, Technology
Statistics & Research
Contact & Terms
Contact Us
Terms & Conditions
Privacy Policy
Upcoming Events